Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Idea Theft & Copyrighting Copywriting

Patents protect products, copyright protects written and artistic work, but what about ideas?

My first association with the phrase “copycat” goes back to Sunday school, remarkably. I must have been seven or eight years old and we were drawing. I recall being completely engrossed in my picture (of a house. I can also remember my ‘style’ of drawing houses at that age) and looking up to see the person opposite me drawing the same picture.
“Denise!” I exclaimed in protest (Denise was the teacher).
“So-and-so (can’t recall the person’s name) copied my picture!”
“Don’t worry,” she said, “That means you drew a good picture and you should be flattered.”

And I was.
That was when I was seven (or eight), and maybe that’s what Jesus would have done. I am now 27 and trying to make a living from my ideas and really not enamoured when it happens. Note the plural current tense. It has now happened twice and is on the verge of a third occurrence, methinks.

When the thought thief is an adult, and using the ideas to advance him or herself financially or professionally or worse- both- it isn’t really flattering at all. It’s pretty infuriating.

Which is not to say I haven’t harvested my share of information from professionals in my time. Because I have- plenty of times. The difference is that I have never tried to pass it off as my own. And always done it with the intent of saving the company I worked for money, not channelling it through some nepotistic line and getting a kick-back on the side.
Lesson learnt: it’s not what you know, it’s who you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...